As a student in the School of Dance at The Ohio State University, we are required to learn different techniques to help us dancers become more versatile, in term being able to market ourself better. One of our projects was to create a film of dance, specifically targeted around camera editing. After two short days of learning the inner workings of how to edit video using some of the best technology available, we were sent out to shoot footage for our new project.
After receiving our project task I began thinking of where I was going to have my film set. I wanted to film in a location where my background was apart of my film and not just a location. Searching for places around the city that were “must sees” I stumbled upon the graffiti wall you see in my film. I decided that this was a great location to use along with the style of dancing that my featured dancer has trained. Walking through the city park to get to our filming location, we got an eerie feeling as if the park had been abandoned. Playing off of these feelings, I decided that I wanted to also make the same mood we felt in person apparent in the film. Now on the spot changing my original concept of specifically highlighting the wall, I decided to shoot some footage of the rundown basketball courts and play area.
On the day of filming it was unexpectedly cold, and it made for quite a filming experience. It may not be really apparent in the film, but Louis Halley was dancing on ice about ninety percent of the film. This definitely made for an interesting filming experience, causing for creative on the spot changes of plans to make sure we achieved what we wanted out of our shots no matter the weather conditions. We went on to soon discover that a full charged battery means nothing once it gets cold, holding it in our coats in between shots to warm the battery to finish our shoot. Overall the filming process was not bad, and was pretty easy to manage.
I do have to say that editing was the harder of all the processes. Going into the next stages of my project I thought I was pretty set on what I wanted for my film. After working on a few drafts to see which direction I wanted to go, I found my footage not being as great as I imagined it was going to be. Looking at the film I had shot, it appeared that something over all was missing. Come to find out, it was color. The richness of the graffiti wall, as well as the colors Louis were wearing, was appearing to be very dull and dry. After finding out a few tips on how to enhance and highlight these amazing colors that were in my footage, it appeared to come more to life. Now satisfied with the general look of my footage itself, I could start the editing process. I knew that I wanted to use music in my film but I was not sure what song I wanted. So, at the shoot I decided not to have music playing but have Louis freestyle and react to the environment. I figured this was the best way to pull his own style rather than have picked a song that he would of played off of, taking away from the raw and emotional connection he channelled from the graffiti wall. This left opportunity for me to edit and add in music in which I felt Louis indirectly felt while dancing. I have to say that editing the film was a great time, and I enjoyed letting the footage direct me to what I felt was a raw and true video edit.